Dear We Are Still In Signatories,
Last June, you helped us launch the We Are Still In coalition to show the world that Americans, from every walk of life, care deeply about addressing climate change and protecting our planet. The world took note of your words and actions, and We Are Still In was a sensation globally. We thank you for signing the statement and for your continuing commitment to taking climate action.
Since June, this movement has more than doubled and continues to grow. With over 2,700 American mayors, governors, business leaders, investors, academic professionals, faith and tribal leaders representing all fifty states, no one can doubt that We Are Still In.
Now, We Are Still In has rolled out the “We Are Taking Action” campaign and a new tool to help you and your organization follow through on your commitment to climate change: a platform where you can register your own contribution to the climate challenge, containing your existing climate and clean energy actions, and new actions with increased ambition that you can take. This platform is designed to be a simple and straightforward way to publicly express your commitment to this issue. In that sense it builds on, not replaces, any existing reporting systems you are using on climate commitments.
By submitting a contribution your organization will benefit in the following ways:
- Showcase leadership in your sector and inspire your peers to do the same;
- Find resources and information about initiatives that your organization might be interested in joining;
- Demonstrate that Americans from around the country can make a difference to keep the United States on track for its Paris targets; and
- Take advantage of cross-collaboration opportunities.
On September 12-14, 2018, Governor Jerry Brown of California will host the Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco. The summit will showcase the work of countries, cities, states, tribes, businesses, investors, universities, civil society and others from around the world. We intend to showcase these contributions and your efforts at the Summit, so that the world knows that We Are Still In.
We are living through one of the most important moments we’ve ever faced in terms of climate ambition. The numbers don’t lie - most analyses have the world well off track to avoiding catastrophic climate change this century. We know that we are in a race against time to protect our way of life. We also know that it’s a race we can win, if we run it together.
That’s why we - inaugural members of the newly formed We Are Still In Leaders’ Circle - are writing you now. We have committed to be the public facing representatives of the We Are Still In coalition and will endeavor to lead by example by putting forward our own contributions to this effort. We hope you will join us.
Thank you, again, for all of your efforts. We are still in, we are all in, and we are in this together. If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We Are Still In Leaders’ Circle
- Governor Kate Brown of Oregon
- Governor Jay Inslee of Washington
- President Fawn Sharp, Quinault Indian Nation
- Mayor Jim Brainard, Carmel Indiana
- Mayor Jeri Muoio, West Palm Beach, Florida
- Mars, Incorporated
- New Belgium Brewing Company
- Clif Bar
- Science Museum of Minnesota
- President Janet Napolitano, University of California
- President Dianne Harrison, California State University-Northridge
- President David Finegold, Chatham University
- President Mark Mitsui, Portland Community College